Nuisance wildlife in New Orleans
Just ask the folks making reality TV shows like Swamp People and they will tell you that Louisiana has a thriving ecosystem filled incredible wildlife. With its wide array of animals including alligators, coyotes, raccoons and even deer – there is no shortage of wildlife excitement in New Orleans.
While enjoying this wildlife is a part of life for Louisiana residents, it not as much fun when it enters your yard, home or business. Raccoons and opossums can tear up your house or injure your pets, armadillos will root up your garden, snakes can be dangerous and a coyote might harm your small pets.
When the wildlife ceases to be something simply to be enjoyed and starts invading your daily life, you will begin to understand where the phrase “nuisance wildlife” comes from.
Safety First When it Comes to Wildlife
The best way to stay safe is to become educated about the types of wildlife in your area, especially before entering areas where wildlife is known to habit. Please remember, while you may consider these animals fun to watch or have around, they may potentially be dangerous, especially if they become scared or become cornered and are prevented from escaping.
This is also the primary reason why we suggest calling a nuisance wildlife professional rather than trying to capture or remove these animals yourself. Safety is paramount at Dial One Pest Control and we provide fully qualified staff to help resolve any wildlife conflicts you may encounter. In fact, our own Marcus Azzarello is one of only a handful of NWCOA Certified wildlife Control Experts in the state of Louisiana!
Safety tips for nuisance wildlife in Louisiana
Two of the most important legal tips to remember are as follows:
- It is against Louisiana State Law to remove a protected animal without a permit.
- It is against Louisiana State Law to kill a protected animal without a permit.
- Protected animals are those such as raccoons, opossums, squirrels, certain snakes and alligators.
Following these laws; please remember the following when in an area with known wildlife:
- Never feed wild animals!! Feeding wild animals can cause serious complications.
- Always use trash services provided at fishing spots, marinas, campgrounds or other similar areas.
- Practice extra caution around areas where dangerous animals are known to be found such as bayous and canals.
- Never try to capture or remove a wild animal on your own.
Useful ways to secure your home against nuisance wildlife
- Make sure the perimeter of your home is securely sealed so that animals may not easily enter the home.
- Keep grass mowed to prevent animals from nesting.
- Do not store logs or mounds of dirt as animals can use this to build homes.
- Do not leave domestic animals outside or in weak shelters.
- Routinely check your home for signs of animals nesting in the area.
- Maintain strict control over potential food sources such as pet food, garbage cans, etc. to ensure they do not attract wildlife.
Resolving wildlife conflicts
Dial One Pest Control is fully committed to resolving wildlife conflicts in southeastern Louisiana. Should you identify a nuisance animal that you are unable to safely deal with yourself, please call one of our professionally trained members of staff who will be able to remove and relocate the animal to a safer environment on your behalf.
Please call a professional today to minimize the risk to you and your family should you have an open conflict with a nuisance animal.