Problems with DIY Pest control
Being a “do it yourself” is something American’s take pride in. Whether you’re a gardener, a handyman, or even a fisherman, taking an interest in a hobby or craft can provide great satisfaction and enjoyment.
But where do you draw the line with things you do yourself versus those you hire a professional for? Do you cut your own hair, handle your own taxes, or re-roof your own house?
How about pest control ? Our customers often tell us that they’ve unsuccessfully tried to handle pest control on their own before calling us. So let’s take a look at the common issues we find with trying to manage pests on your own.
What is DIY Pest Control?
DIY pest control is simply pest control that you can carry out yourself, using items purchased in local store or online. These products promise a long array of solutions for problems that you can manage yourself such as:
- Bait stations, poisons and traps for rodents, mice, roaches, etc.
- Bed bug kits and sprays
- Mosquito control chemicals and misting systems
- Ant control products
- Termite control sprays
These DIY pest control methods are advertised as “easy,” “safe,” and “cost-effective,” but are you really sure what these products do and where you should be placing them in your home? Secondly, do these products actually work as advertised? And lastly, do you really save money with these products if they don’t fix the problem or cost you time and money to deal with them?
Problems associated with DIY pest control
DIY pest control sounds like a great solution – it seems to be affordable, you can treat when and where it suits you and it looks easy enough. However, there are some dangers and questionable success rates that other companies might not inform you about.
Please understand that we do not wish to alarm anyone or cause undue stress. However we do wish to inform our clients that applying chemicals in or around a household environment takes special training as well as an understanding of what the products do and how they are intended to work. Our technicians go through extensive training in this area. So before you spray something in your home, please understand that it may not be quite as simple as it sounds on the product label.
Potential concerns with DIY pest control products:
- Misidentification of the pest or use of inappropriate control methods
- Using harsh or abrasive chemicals which can be harmful to your family or pet’s health.
- Failure to fully eradicate the insects.
- Missing signs of further infestations from the same or other insects.
- Not solving fundamental problems such as closing the entry points pests are using to enter your home and eliminating their potential food sources will cause the pests to return.
- Incurring additional expenses when an infestation spreads or further damage occurs, especially with termites.
- DIY Pest Control solutions are much less effective than industry standard solutions.
- DIY Pest Control solutions may not be Eco-friendly and could damage the environment.
Why call a professional?
The most common complaint we hear with new customers is that they have tried these DIY pest control products and ultimately been unable to fix the problem. Thus, the failure of DIY methods is always a good reason to call a professional.
Dial One Pest Control offers a wide range of solutions to meet every individual requirement. Whether you are a homeowner, tenant or a commercial property manager, we have the right solution for you.
Dial One Pest offers:
- Affordable services – Professional doesn’t have to mean expensive and Dial One Pest will work with you to create a custom package that doesn’t break your budget.
- Qualified staff – Reduce the risk to family, staff and pets by using a highly trained pest control professional. This also eliminates the risk of misuse of chemicals and other risks.
- Experience – Dial One Pest has been in the industry for over 40 years and has a long history of meeting pest control needs.
- Board Certified Entomologist – Dial One Pest has the one and only board certified entomologist in Louisiana serving the pest control industry
- Guaranteed Service – We work n the problem until it is solved and offer a 100% satisfaction guarantee